Addresses:

July 27-Aug 24:
Sister Allyson Mullen
MTC Mailbox # 205
NZE-AUC 0824
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Aug 24-Dec 2012 (letters only! ...if you feel so inclined to send me a package half way across the world, talk to my sister):
New Zealand Auckland Mission
P.O. Box 33-840
Takapuna, North Shore City 0740
New Zealand
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Cold Day In July

Malolelei!
 
My love for the Tongans really does grow each week. They really are so friendly and just a lovable people. For the record: almost all of them speak English. They have Sac Mtg in Tongan unless some of the youth or YSA get up to bare their testimony, then they speak in English. I think they do all the youth and definitely primary in English.
 
So we had a the head of some missionary department come to the VC and give a training to all the VC sisters and all the senior missionaries as well. The guy who did it was actually my stake president who interviewed me for my papers at BYU. It was so fun. He was literally running around the VC acting like an obnoxious 10 year old while Sister Chan and I were doing a role play trying to teach him mum. I learned a lot and the timing of that was definitely a tender mercy becuase it's just what I needed to hear after having a not-so-good week. Just good to remember how important our job is at the VC. I definitely underestimate that sometimes. It was also good to just get training on being at the VC. I mean, yeah, I stayed in Provo another week for VC training...but it really wasn't anything special. But from what Sister Chan did in her extra week at the MTC, it sounds like they're doing more now.
 
So in honor of all the sisters getting a cell phone this week, I made up a song to "You've had a Birthday" or whatever that song is called:
We got a cell phone, shout hooray. We want to text to you today. One more number and easy to call. We've got a cell phone, to-day.
 
At first I didn't want the cell phone. That's something I've loved about being a missionary is not having to worry about my phone and just remembering how much time I wasted texting or things like that, haha, but now that we've had it, I've also remembered how much easier it is to contact people when we have a phone, or for them to call us. The thing in NZ is that it costs extra to call a mobile from a landline or vice versa. So some people couldn't call us because they only had a cell phone, besides the fact that everyone here almost NEVER has minutes to call, so they can only text. So it'll be nice to be able to text now.
 
So the other day, I was walking upstairs from the kitchen with another sister after we finished lunch, and she jokingly said, "stop following me" so then I turned my 10-year-old-me and started following her and copying her for a little bit, and after I stopped she said, "Sister Mullen...you seem so serious and responsible sometimes and to say, "that's not appropriate" (PS I've never said that to anyone) ...but you're really not." I didn't know I seem so serious sometimes, but like she said...I'm really not. I guess I still need to work on bringing out my personality more.
 
Just a little bit about chats, I don't know if I talk much about chats: but we had a guy come on wanting to learn more b/c he supports Mitt Romney, but then he really disagreed with our beliefs of the Godhead vs. the Trinity. And then he asked the bold question, "So do you think I'm wrong?" and "Do you think all other churches are wrong?" So we tactfully answered his questions ,but then he turned around and said we were a cult and we saw him starting to type "I will not vote for Mitt Romney" but then he actually never sent it (we can we what they're typing, but they don't know that, hehe). But then the next guy we had was a return investigator. Been taught everything, but could never commit to baptism, but wants to meet with missionaries again. Just goes to show the wide range of people we meet on there!
 
PS started memorizing my Patriarchal Blessing, and just as I've memorized scriptures too, I've come to see how I understand things in a different way when I memorize them. Just reminds me of Elder Scott's talk from October Conference about the pwoer of memorizing scriptures. I'm all for it!
 
Ofa atu,
     Sister Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment