Addresses:

July 27-Aug 24:
Sister Allyson Mullen
MTC Mailbox # 205
NZE-AUC 0824
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Aug 24-Dec 2012 (letters only! ...if you feel so inclined to send me a package half way across the world, talk to my sister):
New Zealand Auckland Mission
P.O. Box 33-840
Takapuna, North Shore City 0740
New Zealand
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, December 19, 2011

It's The Most Wonderful Time of The Year

I love Christmas time! Even though it really really doesn't feel like Christmas. Yesterday it was actually pretty rainy and got pretty chilly, so I pulled out my long sleeve sweaters and my boots and we had some milo and it definitely helped it feel more Christmas-y, but it's warm again today.

It's been kind of a crazy week with lots of ups and downs. Chrissie, our friend we met 2 weeks ago and is/was getting ready to be baptized on the 24th. Things were great, then she showed up to the chapel Friday night for her baptismal interview and things were not good. She had told her dad about tithing, and he was NOT happy with that. He's been very supportive of her and learning from us and going to this church, but he didn't want her to have to pay tithing b/c she can't afford it b/c he's already helping her financially as it is. So she wasn't planning on getting baptized the 24th, but she went ahead and had the interview w/ President Higgins, also to get some more advice and a priesthood blessing. We had a little chat with her more about the situation on Saturday, and we've both been trying really hard to cast out all doubt and have faith that this baptism will still go through. So we called her this morning to see how things were going with smoking and coffee and how the rest of her day was yesterday, and she said her dad is going to let her get baptized!! We were both freaking out and are just so excited!

We also have another girl getting baptized on Saturday. We started teaching her probably in September, but had to stop because her daughter in law, who she lives with, didn't want us around. Long story short, we were able to get a hold of her last week and she wants to get baptized on Saturday!

So there's this guy here, named Hiniwera Jones (I think that's how you spell his name). Anywho, he's a BIG deal. Some members told us that wealthy members in the states pay him $10,000 to fly to the states and teach them & whoever they invite for like 3 days. I think he does more, but I'm just not sure. So he had this fireside kind of deal (there's a special Maori name for it, but I can't remember it), and we had a couple of investigators show up and he talked about the design of the marae and how closely it relates to the gospel and it's just amazing! I love learning more about the maori culture!

I read Elder Hales's talk today about waiting upon the Lord. I realized that's something I've really learned to do as a missionary, b/c I can only go to my Heavenly Father or my companion to talk about things every day, and I've also come to learn how this really is the Lord's work and how much help I need from Him and I'm just thankful for how much I've been able to strengthen my relationship with my Heavenly Father over the last couple months. I then looked up "Strengthen" in the topical guide and it led me to Mosiah 24, where Amulon is threatening to kill anyone he catches praying, and it talks about how they pour out their hearts to the Lord and how much they were blessed for being patient, faithful and for keeping the covenants they made and I know that the same goes for us! I know without a doubt that the Lord really does want us to be happy and He's always there to help strengthen us, but we have to rely on Him and wait for things to happen according to His will, as hard as it can be sometimes. I love the gospel, and I love my Savior, Jesus Christ and am so thankful for Christmas and the time we have to remember why He came to the earth and the blessings we can receive as we all draw closer to Him. Hope you all have a good week getting ready for Christmas! Love yous!

Love,
     Sister Mullen

PS I try to make my emails short, but it just never happens! Sorry bout it!

PPS I (nor Sister Perry) appreciates the comments we keep getting about us being from Utah. We went to a fireside in Whakatane, and there was a couple there, and both of them are actually from the states, and she talked to us afterwards about our musical number and she said "when I saw you guys up there, I figured you HAD to be from Utah? You two are from Utah, right?" Umm..no. And then driving to our Christmas Conference last week, we had an Elder in our car (from Utah) who we don't know super well, and he asked, "So where in Utah are you both from?" & then we found out that 4 of the 6 sisters at the VC right now are from Utah. We can be musically talented AND sister missionaries and not be from Utah. Thank you very much. & I'm just glad Sister Perry & I understand how each other feels, haha. (no offense to you Ariel!! Everyone just thinks all the members in the states come from Utah, haha)

1 comment:

  1. hey megan, would you mind emailing me at carlyjo90@gmail.com and letting me know the best address to send Ally a letter? i know her address is on the side bar, but I don't know if that's the most recent or if the letter gets there after December then.....

    ReplyDelete