Addresses:

July 27-Aug 24:
Sister Allyson Mullen
MTC Mailbox # 205
NZE-AUC 0824
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Aug 24-Dec 2012 (letters only! ...if you feel so inclined to send me a package half way across the world, talk to my sister):
New Zealand Auckland Mission
P.O. Box 33-840
Takapuna, North Shore City 0740
New Zealand
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Sharing is Caring

Lots to say this week, here we go:

Drum roll for transfers...oh wait, still at the VC, but I love it, and I've come to love this area.

Our theme for the transfer is Sharing is Caring...because we now have to share a car. I'm still in the same area (for those who don't remember...I'm still in the heavily populated LDS area where we cover 7 wards), still with Sister Somma from Italy. When the Zone Leaders called us about transfers and told us they were taking our car away, I didn't believe them and was just in shock. I figured they would have to keep me here because I'm one of the few sisters with a driver's license and we need a car in our area. First off: freaking out because we have an investigator who lives 15 km's away. Second off: I was thinking, "How am I supposed to look good for the VC when I'm on a bike?" ...kind of kidding, but not really.   Besides the fact that I don't want to bike the scary highway stretch from Temple View to the other side of our area where there are actually nonmembers, I was then just frustrated with how ineffective walking is. lakjfvnjd, Anywho, worked my magic and now we're sharing with the other sisters because that's how they used to do it in the past (but there are still times we don't have the car). When our Zone Leaders found out we're sharing, he said , "I'm Sister Mullen, and I get what I want." Haha, I do what I can.

-So last District Meeting (that consists of only 3 companionships) we had a testimony meeting and it was so good. Like the elder in charge said, it's one thing sharing your testimony with your investigators and completely different with other missionaries. I loved it. I realized I love bearing my testimony. I feel like I'm going to be one of those people that races up to the pulpit every fast Sunday with the Barrons and Brother Pena.
-Rode my bike for the 3rd time on my mission, but it was only from our flat to the VC which is 1 km. I hate bikes. When we called one member to give us a ride to the other part of our area, she said was busy, but told us to go to the shop in the area and look desperate because there are always people going into town. Are you kidding me??
-My testimony of "I Am A Child of God" has definitely grown as a missionary of how powerful it is. We started teaching a girl with 5 kids 7 and under, single mum. Oh boy. Anywho, we had a lesson on Friday and we sang "I Am A Child of God" with her and her kids, and at primary on Sunday, the 4 year old kept requesting that we sing "I Am A Child of God." I was just amazed since she had only sung it once. Another investigator we had a while ago, she had 3 little girls, 5, 3, and 1 year old. and We often sang "I Am A Child of God" and the mum said her girls were always singing it. Love it. And we have this fun music video type thing to "I Am A Child of God" at the VC that we show to almost everyone.
-Most people just don't know what to say to the missionaries, and it's really funny sometimes. We called one girl to come to a lesson with us, but turns out she's going to Aussie for a week, and so I told her to have a fun week in Aussie and she said, "Have fun with your lesson...and with being a missionary for the next week!" Haha, I'll try to.
-Tried contacting a former investigator this week who's name was Rosie...reminded me of the good ol' days of wanting to be Allyson Rosey Mullen. I'll never forget that horse.

Things are picking up like craziness in our area, it's so exciting. We're finding out about all sorts of people from members and people who have been coming to church with their friends, ah, the wards are just too big it's hard to know what's going on, but we're finding out the secret nonmembers that have been coming to church.

This is the highlight of the week though, for sure: A week ago we tried to go see a less-active male (haven't really tried to see LA males like at all on my mission because we would need a female to go inside anyway) and we saw one, and he wasn't the least bit interested ,but I decided to knock on some of the neighbor's doors, and we met Bruce and he was willing to let us  come back to his house to meet his family on Saturday. So on Friday, I called to confirm the appointment, and a girl answered and when she found out it was the missionaries, she said we didn't need to come by because they were already affiliated with a church. And I asked if it would be okay if we still came by to see Bruce sometime, and she said we didn't need to..but then she asked, "But did Bruce say he wanted you back?" And I said that we scheduled a time to come back, and she was willing to let us come by. I felt like the appointment wasn't going to go through because Bruce wasn't too keen when we first talked to him, but he was there, waiting for us, and let us in. We sat down with him, and eventually his partner came over too, Emily. And she wanted to know why there were so many churches, so we taught about the Restoration. And then at the end, she said that she has been wondering how to get Bruce to come to church with her. Turns out I had talked to Emily on the phone about the appointment, and she said she realized in the middle of our converstation that maybe this is how Bruce would come to church with her. She wondered if we were an answer to her prayers...uhh, yes, yes we are. Wow. I've never had that experience before and it felt so good. They agreed to prepare for baptism on the 6th of October, but she works on Sundays, so we have some work to do. Oh, did I mention they have 5 kids. Anyway, love it. Feels good knowing we were in the right place at the right time.

Met a sister who served at the LA Visitors' Centre came in on Saturday and it was fun talking to her and hearing about how different the LA VC is. Primarily how much more busy it is. Made me feel like a bum at our VC that is quite slow except on Saturdays. Made me want to serve at a busy VC, but I love it here and wouldn't trade the experiences I've had for ANYthing.


Heaps of miracles and tender mercies this week...but that would just turn my email into a novel.

Love,
    Sister Allyson Rosey Mullen

Scripture of the week: Mosiah 4:6-7, " I say unto you, if ye have come to a knowledge of the goodness of God, and his matchless power, and his wisdom, and his patience, and his long-suffering towards the children of men; and also, the atonement which has been prepared from the foundation of the world, that thereby salvation might come to him that should put his trust in the Lord, and should be diligent in keeping his commandments, and continue in the faith even unto the end of his life, I mean the life of the mortal body—I say, that this is the man who receiveth salvation, through the atonement which was prepared from the foundation of the world for all mankind, which ever were since the fall of Adam, or who are, or who ever shall be, even unto the end of the world." Ponder it on your own, I just fell in love with it. I love finding scriptures that I've read a million times, but this time it hits me different and I love it and wonder how I've never caught it before. Yay for the blessings that come the Atonement and putting our trust in the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment