Addresses:

July 27-Aug 24:
Sister Allyson Mullen
MTC Mailbox # 205
NZE-AUC 0824
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Aug 24-Dec 2012 (letters only! ...if you feel so inclined to send me a package half way across the world, talk to my sister):
New Zealand Auckland Mission
P.O. Box 33-840
Takapuna, North Shore City 0740
New Zealand
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Gotta Learn How To Shake My Hips Like An Islander

We had a fun ward activity on Saturday, it was an International Night, and we were able to see performances of New Zealand, Samoa, Cook Islands and Mexico! I finally put the pieces together that the Haka is purely maori, not from any other island. I remember telling a Samoan-Aussie elder I served around how we had some Samoans teach the boys a haka for the "all boys dance" for the dance festival and he sarcastically said, "Samoans doing a haka...that's a disgrace." ...Because everyone still knows the haka. But I realized that what they did at the first dance festival was a mix between a haka and a Samoan dance. Good to know! Also after seeing the performances, I remember a girl in my contemporary dance class at BYU telling me that she was in a polynesian dance class...and decided I could now add that to my repertoire after my mission. I'm sure I'd love it, ha.
 
Not an amazing week, struggling to set up appointments. And members are more than willing to be fellowship and help out with teaching...but we really need their help in finding, and they all tell us, "oh, we hardly talk to non-members." Sick of the excuses. Ha. But we had a really good lesson with one investigator yesterday. She doesn't have a belief in God (she's from China, her husband got baptized a few years ago). She started coming to church, but said she doesn't feel anything special and we've been struggling to get her to read the Book of Mormon and exercise her faith. So we invited her to the Visitors' Centre and we watched the Joseph Smith movie, and at the end, we could both tell how much she had changed. She said she gained a lot of faith from watching it and was able to understand more and said that Joseph Smith was an amazing man. We gave her a specific chapter to read from the Book of Mormon and she was so anxious to say "Yes, I'll read it." We're so excited for the progress she is making, and SO thankful to have the Visitors' Centre and how powerful it can be to have lessons here.
 
I read Elder Bednar's talk this week about the Power of the Priesthood. So powerful. I especially loved how he said you can break your priesthood covenants by not doing anything, and I thought really applies to everyone, not just priesthood holders. Just think about Christ and how He was the perfect example. We shouldn't wait for someone to come ask us for help, we shouldn't wait for someone to come ask us about the gospel, there are certain things that we have to take the initiative on. The gospel really is all about doing and being at work, that's what it takes to be a true disciple of Christ.
 
Also, I feel like I've had it reinforced to me several times this week what the feelings of the Spirit are. (If anyone wants to read an amazing talk on the Holy Ghost, read "Unleashing the Dormant Spirit" by F. Enzio Busche. Or maybe it's Enzio F. Anyway, it's on byu.speeches.edu. So good) In that talk it says how being unhappy is not of the Spirit and then I read another talk that says having a bad attitude is not of the Spirit. Kind of a big slap in the face that I have a reason to be happy every day! I have been happy the last couple of weeks, just when I started training and we were double shifted in, I was way stressed and I think it let it affect me too much. Anywho, I decided I will be a happy camper the rest of my mission, no matter what. Or at least try to.
 
When we find out someone is from China, and I say, "Ni Hao" they always think it's really funny. Try it sometime.
 
Don't know who's at the Lake this week, at least Dad, Mom, Megan & Danny, Mike & the girls and Ariel. A bit jealous. Have fun! It's officially winter here and I can't go outside without wearing leggings or tights.

 
Ofa atu,
      Sister Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment