Addresses:

July 27-Aug 24:
Sister Allyson Mullen
MTC Mailbox # 205
NZE-AUC 0824
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Aug 24-Dec 2012 (letters only! ...if you feel so inclined to send me a package half way across the world, talk to my sister):
New Zealand Auckland Mission
P.O. Box 33-840
Takapuna, North Shore City 0740
New Zealand
Powered by Blogger.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Oh Hey...

I can't believe how fast the weeks are going now, I feel like I just emailed y'all a couple days ago. I can't believe it's past the middle of September...I'm still disoriented with it being cold this time of year...I feel like I'm in February...probably doesn't help that I never got a "Summer Holiday" either so everything is a big blur.
So last weekend everything was looking sweet as in our area...but it's funny how quickly things take a turn and don't work out that well. We've still got heaps of potential...but working on turning it into reality and not potential. One of the best parts was that we got this referral from other missionaries awhile ago for Hong, from Cambodia, 15 years old. We stopped by to see him, but he didn't really want to set up an appointment, and just kept telling us to come pick him up for church, but then he wasn't able to come to church. So last Saturday, we called in to see him again, and were trying to set up for later in the week, and he just kept saying, "yeah, come get me for church." So we called a member Saturday night to give him a ride, and Sunday morning, he was still keen to come (by the way...bit of a language barrier with him, but we definitely understood that he was eager to come to church), I explained to him that it was going to be a different church meeting (because we had Stake Conference yesterday...and getting a new Stake President...so it was really really different.) but he kept saying, "Okay, come pick me up for church." Sweet as. The member brought him to church and Hong showed up with a Cambodian Book of Mormon that apparently he got from his brother who got it from missionaries ages ago. The member was laughing at us when we found out he had a Book of Mormon and it didn't come from us. Anywho, he's just going to heaps of churches (showed us a program from another church) so hopefully we can teach him what makes this church different.
Sister Chan (my super quiet, but awesome companion I trained from Hong Kong) told me this week she feels like she is so loud now after being my companion, haha, I loved hearing that. Not that anyone would describe her as being loud, even now, she's still pretty quiet, but glad to know I could help her out in that way...especially now that she has a pretty quiet companion.
Rode our bikes a few more times this week. Funny how sometimes I actually want to ride it (only short distances though :) )...mostly because it's always an adventure riding our bikes and I'm always laughing...mostly at how ridiculously it is to ride a bike wearing a skirt. Seriously though, skirts on bikes is the worst idea EVER!
Something I've been off/on about for ages is trying to recognize the tender mercies the Lord gives me everyday. So now I'm trying to be better about it again, but it really is so good to try to notice that, because they're always there, and it just shows how much Heavenly Father is willing to help us out. I don't know if I've said this before, but I don't believe in coincidences anymore...anything good that happens is a tender mercy from Heavenly Father.
One of the many many tender mercies of the week: we were on foot in our area yesterday after church for a couple hours (it's just a massive neighborhood). It was POURING all morning, so we put on our gumboots and serious raincoats and were prepared for the rain! We came out of our first appointment at 3 and it was sunny as and beautiful! ...and remained so until we got home at 7:30 last night (for the record we go home early on Sunday evenings...don't think we're being dodgy missionaries :) ), and then it started pouring again. Heavenly Father is too good to us. Not all of our appointments went through, so we were walking around for a couple hours in our gumboots and massive raincoats over our bags in the best weather we've seen all week. Our bags were so heavy and my legs were killing me at the end of the night. But I'll take it over tromping through the rain for hours! Been there, done that, hated it. Ha.
Things are going good. Going to the temple this week and I'm giddy like a little kid. Love the new VC directors, the McLachlans. They're just so...lovely! Just great to be around and I'm excited to serve with them. The Hardy's (the couple from Clinton, UT) left today. So sad, but I know I'll see them again. So we got the fulltime couple to replace them, the Bakers. He is from England, she is from NZ, but they live in Utah...well did, before they got here. Experiences I had this week and having so many new missionaries here (young and senior couples) I realized how I'm the old foogy here and so everyone looks to me because they think I know what I'm doing...who signed me up for this job? The McLachlans wanted me to take the Bakers on a tour to "show em how it's done." Oh my, I still have so much to learn myself! But just definitely have had it reiterated to me lately that the Lord calls us in our weaknesses and blesses AND qualifies us in the work, as it says in D&C 35:17, "And I have sent forth the afulness of my gospel by the hand of my servant Joseph; and in weakness have I blessed him;" I now understand what my MTC teacher meant when we asked him when he felt like he finally knew what he was doing as a missionary and had the skills down...and he told us, "I never felt like that ...I always had things to work on."
That's it, see y'all at the same time next week.
Love,
     Sister Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment