Addresses:

July 27-Aug 24:
Sister Allyson Mullen
MTC Mailbox # 205
NZE-AUC 0824
2005 N 900 E
Provo, UT 84604-1793

Aug 24-Dec 2012 (letters only! ...if you feel so inclined to send me a package half way across the world, talk to my sister):
New Zealand Auckland Mission
P.O. Box 33-840
Takapuna, North Shore City 0740
New Zealand
Powered by Blogger.

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ready for Summer...And Christimas

Talofa Lava!

I'm surrounded by Samoans now...so maybe you're thinking I got shifted to Auckland...? Don't worry, I'm still rockin' it here at the VC and still in Temple View. I'm not serving in the New Zealand Auckland Mission...I'm serving in the New Zealand Hamilton Mission. It's all good, I love it here, I feel quite at home in this area. So Sister Italy went up to Auckland and my new companion is Sister Uhrle (pronounced like "early") and she's from Samoa. She was MTC companions with Sister Chan in the MTC and they were really good friends...so you know what that means...we probably won't get along. Jokes. We're already friends, I love it. I'm excited to serve with her, it's going to be fun. Sister Uhrle is new to the VC, so it'll keep me on my toes making sure I'm on top of things to help her get adjusted and know what to do here at the VC. So each of the three companionships in the district, there's a samoan missionary. And then we baptized a Samoan last night. Talofa lava. So yeah, Landy FINALLY got baptized! She's been in contact with the church for 8 years. Been married to an RM for 10 months now, been going to church almost every week, sang in the choir in Stake Conference. The hold up was her family, they're quite staunch in their Samoan Methodist Church, but she finally just told them that she wanted to get baptized, and it was a great baptism. I'm sure her family will follow, it will definitely take time, but I'm sure they'll see the light. 

We also had Jess & Bessie get baptized on Saturday. Everything was going great til an hour before the baptism, the Auntie, who's a member, called me up and basically chewed me out about somethings that were not under my control, but I just explained that we were doing what we can at this point to make it an enjoyable experience, and a smooth transition into our ward. So they've been taught by elders and were going to a different ward until last week when the Zone Leaders told us they were in our ward. The auntie was quite upset the elders couldn't be there (since they're out of district) thankfully that was solved and the elders got permission to come, the auntie was freaking out about who else was bringing food (PS there was HEAPS of food) blah blah blah, she just wanted it to be an happy celebration by both wards (I didn't know there was unhappiness from both wards...oh wait, because there really wasn't) and and the auntie said she almost suggested that they wait to get baptized. Oh no she did-nt! She was making things a bigger deal than they needed to be. But it happened. Everything was great. The baptismal room was FULL and the auntie loved us afterwards and said how great it was and is now our friend. I decided the lesson learned was for everyone to CHILL OUT! Thank you, very much.

So this week was full on. I felt like I was constantly running around, and it was crazy, but it felt so good. I wish we were always this busy. Thankfully we've got a lot of potential investigators that we just need to go to work on and so hopefully we keep it up!

I was blessed to be able to go to transfers, I always love being there, just a fun spirit. Got to see Sister Tovale again (we were here together for 9 months and comps for 1 transfer). But being at transfers and seeing the new missionaries, I was just relieved that I don't ever have to be a new missionary again, haha. Not that it was a terrible experience, I mean I loved my trainer and everything, but it's still hard being new and trying to pick up everything you have to be doing and adjusting to the mission-culture and everything. Anywho, glad I never have to repeat that semi-painful experience.

I feel like the Lord has been taking very good care of me lately and He's just gently pushing me along. Little things just fall into place and I guess, well, that things are going quite smoothly and I'm thankful for the opportunities I'm having to grow and realizing the tender mercies I've had to strengthen and develop relationships with people (especially a bishop that I was scared to even say hi to at church...but an experience I had this weekend, I realized that we're buddy-buddy now and he trusts and likes me). (but now that I'm realizing how good things are...I guess it just means not-so-good things are coming, but I've also have to push through some mud to get to this point). Certain things I hear, like at the transfer meeting or at the training we had Saturday morning at the VC or General Conference, are JUST what I wanted and needed. Like at our VC training, Elder McLachlan talked about Christlike attributes and we were talking about charity. I was able to realize what a blessing it has been to be able to (try to) develop Christlike attributes more as a missionary. I still have far to go, but before my mission, I realized I wasn't in situations where I really NEEDED to develop certain attributes. Like stretching my faith and pushing myself WAY out of my comfort zone and learning what it really means to depend on the Lord. Also, developing patience in working with certain people. You don't have a whole lot of control of who you are around as a missionary, but as I've been kind of forced to work with certain people, I've been able to learn to push through certain things and end up becoming friends with them. Whereas, before my mission, if someone was rude/annoying...I could just avoid them. I don't even realize the blessings I'm getting from serving a mission and how much I needed this and these experiences, but am so incredibly grateful to be doing the Lord's work at this time and helping others prepare for the Second Coming!

Funny story of the week: So I was texting a member to see when/if we could come see her mum (the investigator) aaaand...I accidentally sent it to Leesa instead of Lauren. Got a text back that said, "haha, awkward...wrong person" Whoops! I died laughing. If know me, you know I have some funny, but not funny at the time, experiences of mis-texting. It's what us Mullen girls do. I obviously haven't sent a mis-text in ages. Too funny.

Jess's dad/Bessie's partner came to a lesson this past week and he said how much he likes coming to the VC because of the feeling here and especially in the Christus room. He said it's like a big slap in the face and it wakes you up. I love hearing people talk about the feeling here because as members having the Holy Ghost, I don't think we realize how different it feels being here.

Well I think that's enough for this week. It was a great week. I'm excited to serve with Sister Uhrle, we've already had some funny experiences...like Sister Mullen dropping cake of the plate TWICE last night. Uh-oh. Somethings never change.

Alofa atu!
       Sister Mullen

No comments:

Post a Comment